At the junction of the turnpike roads, north-south from Shrewsbury to Ludlow and west-east from Clun to Bridgnorth, stood the Craven rms Inn, catering for the needs of travellers from the 1800s.
Farmers from miles around brought their sheep to the market which wa held here, and so the town began to grow. It was not until the opening of the railway in 1852 that development really began. The station took its name from the Inn, and so Craven rms the town was born.
Alas, the livestock market no longer takes place and the site of the weekly auction sale is now being redeveloped as a ‘village centre’. lthough the bustling market atmosphere is no longer here, there is plenty to do and see. There are plenty of attractions within walking distance of the railway station.