The town of Welshpool became a borough under the title of Burgus de Pola by charter in 1263. The original borough merely consisted of what was afterwards known as Pool Middle extending to 60 acres the area later being increased to 20,426 acres by a charter granted by Edward de Cherleton, Lord of Powys on 29th June 1406 as a reward for the fidelity of the burgesses during the Welsh National movement under Owen Glyndwr.
The primitive Welshpool known as y rallwm, formed part of the territories of the Welsh Princes of Powys and came into being some thirteen centuries ago following the erection of a church by St. Llewelyn (and yet another by St. Cynvelyn).
For the shopper there are many interesting places to see, including the narrow lanes that link the main streets, and the Old Station – now the site of the Edinburgh Woollen Mill.
Walkers have a large range of areas to visit in the vicinity. hese include Offa’s Dyke (a mile outside the town), the banks of the Montgomery Canal which now runs for 30 miles and most of which is accessible, and many public footpaths in the local countryside. The Severn Farm Pond Nature reserve is a further place worth a visit.
For those keen on sporting activities there is angling on the River Severn, an interesting golf course nearby, and various facilities at the Flash sports centre including a swimming pool and indoor bowls hall.
Welshpool is one of the best served towns in the region for transport. There is a regular rail service from Shrewsbury and Birmingham to the East and from Aberystwyth to the West. By road, when travelling from the midlands, Welshpool is within one hour of the M6 Motorway via the M54. It can easily be reached from the north-west via the A483, while travellers from the south can have a beautifully scenic route via the A49.
The Tourist Information Centre in Welshpool has full details of facilities in the area. here is a 3 star hotel in the centre of town and many options for B&B in the area.
Welshpool by Trevor Harris